Vinyl home siding is becoming a more common exterior coating for residential properties. In fact, it has become the most popular type of residential exterior covering in the United States and Canada and is quickly gaining momentum through out the world. Continued changes in the composition and manufacturing of each panel has dramatically improved and it is now being installed on all priced homes because of it's durability, ease of maintenance, and general overall appearance.
Originally manufactured in the early 1950's it was not intended to cover the entire house only to replace pieces of aluminum siding that had come off. It was all hand made and early complaints of the production was the harm to the environment. Special plants have been designed and the removal of old materials are very closely monitored to ensure procedures are in place to contain these fumes. With guidelines and procedures put in place by OSHA, manufacturers are making every attempt to keep our environment safe while producing this beautiful product.
Vinyl home siding comes in many different thicknesses, colors, sizes and rail types. Vinyl home siding is made up from 80% composition materials resembling PVC resin and the other 20% determines the color and thickness of the panels. Because of the current composition of the material, your options can be endless. You are able to choose color, gloss, texture, cost, and overall durability depending on decisions you make when choosing the panels.
Advantages of Vinyl Siding
While their have been some controversial issues surrounding this type of exterior covering due to non greenhouse norms, it has become a favorite of builders due to cost efficiency and color choices for the homeowner. Another great aspect to vinyl home siding is the ease of maintenance. This exterior covering is not susceptible to rot or termites like other types of materials. It can with-stand high winds as well as significant temperature changes and it never needs painting. While it is not maintenance free, it typically only requires an exterior washing once a year.
Installation of vinyl home siding is time consuming, however with some patience and the acquisition of a zip tool, proficiency and excellence can be obtained. You will need to make sure that you have applied or will apply sufficient insulation to the exterior of the home before installing the panels as it is a necessity for making your home energy-efficient.
The only real draw back to using vinyl home siding on your home is that it can not be repaired, but must be replaced. Damaging hail storms, high winds with debris, and mowing can cause damage to the panels. If left un-repaired moisture can accrue behind the paneling and cause rot and mold. With the proper tools and some simple instructions repairing your home is a task that most can undertake themselves.
Types of Siding
To begin with there are many different styles of vinyl home siding to choose from. There is insulated, half round, hand split shake, dutch round smooth, cedar perfections, board batten, beaded and straight wood grain. Depending on the look you want to achieve on the exterior of your home will help determine which type of paneling to choose. Before beginning the project it would be very beneficial to have a general overview or idea of how you would like the finished result to appear.
Different styles will give have different appearances to your home and come in different sizes and textures. Board and Batten Vinyl siding is a has a rustic look to it and makes it look like cedar boards that were used on older homes. Liquid vinyl siding is the is the most maintenance free material of all the products manufactured. It reflects the heat which makes it energy-efficient, looks like paint, and is the most durable of all vinyl products available. Seamless vinyl is made like the other types of coverings, however does not have seams and is generally made to order.
Solid core vinyl home siding is a great choice if you are wanting the most protection from weather. It has a solid core of foam and allows it to be installed flat which helps increase the r-value of your insulation. Vinyl Shake material has a similar appearance to wooden cedar shingle siding and is used by homeowners who want a more original feel to the appearance of their property.
Options are endless with vinyl home siding and all material comes with a manufactures warranty. There are so many colors, textures and types to choose from that you are sure to fit the design you want for your structure. While this is not a task that most self proclaimed do it yourselfer's will want to attempt, it is always best to consult and receive free estimates from local experienced contractors.